Luke - A Tree & Its Fruit
Scripture: Luke 6:37–6:45
Sermon Text: Luke 6:37-45 (ESV)
37 “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38 give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”
39 He also told them a parable: “Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher. 41 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye.
43 “For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit,44 for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thornbushes, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. 45 The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
Big Idea: Each tree is known by its fruit. The fruit represents our thoughts and actions. The more our thoughts and actions are similar to Jesus’ the more we can be confident that He is working in our hearts. We can assess our hearts by looking at our thoughts and actions. After our assessment we can continue to grow through giving thanks, repenting, and obeying.
Outline: Each tree is known by its fruit. We can assess our hearts by assessing our thoughts and actions with the following questions:
- Are you merciful as your Father is merciful?
- Are you becoming more like your teacher?
- Are you taking out the log in your own eye?
- Are you bearing good fruit?
- Are you merciful as your Father is merciful? Why or why not?
- Are you sinfully critical of others? Why or why not?
- Do you pronounce others as guilty? Why or why not?
- Are you forgiving toward others? Why or why not?
- Are you giving toward others? Why or why not?
- Do you recognize that you were once blind but now you can see? How so?
- Who and what are you listening to and believing?
- Is it in line with Scripture?
- Are you leading others into the way of truth? How so?
- Are you becoming more like Jesus? In what ways?
- In what ways do you need to grow to become more like Jesus?
- Do you notice that you have a log in your eye? What is it?
- Do you take the log out of your own eye before confronting others?
- How do you do this?
- Do you humbly and gently speak the truth in love into other's sin? Why or why not?
- Do you listen when people confront you in your sin?
- What fruits are you bearing in your life?
- Are they the fruits of the Spirit (read Gal. 5:22-23)?
- Are they the fruits of the selfish desires (read Gal. 5:16-21)?
- What are your thoughts and actions?
- What do you thoughts and actions say about the state of your heart?
- Is your heart rooted in Christ? Why or why not?
What needs to be with our checkup?
- Give thanks where we need to give thanks.
- Repent where we need to repent.
- CAR: Confess, Affirm, Request.
- Obey with the help of the Spirit.