Luke - Blessings and Woes
Scripture: Luke 6:20–6:26
Text: Luke 6:20-26 (ESV)
And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. “Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. “Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh. “Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.
“But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation. “Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry. “Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep. “Woe to you, when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.
Big Idea: Blessings & Woes: Looking not only at the temporary
- 4 Blessings & 4 Woes
- blessed are the poor/woe to you who are rich
- blessed are the hungry/woe to you who are full
- blessed are you who weep/woe to you who laugh
- blessed are you when you are hated/woe to you when you are spoken well of…
- Where are we tempted most to doubt God’s faithfulness?
- Where are we tempted most to trust in our own self-made security?
- What does it mean to belong to the Kingdom of God as a co-heir with Christ?
- How do we, like Paul, fight for and learn Godly contentment in any circumstance?
- Do you grieve well? Are there hurts/wounds that you need to acknowledge and truly lay them down before the cross?
- Are you able to find joy on the other side of grief? What does it look like to fight for joy in hard circumstances?
- In what scenarios have you been rejected/mistreated on behalf of Jesus? Where have you risked what others may think of you on behalf of the truth? Do you tend to be bold/confident in your beliefs? Or do you tend to fear what others think of you or what others may say?
- Where does our ultimate confidence and security lie?
- Luke 12:29-31
- Philippians 4:11-13;19
- Proverbs 17:22
- 2 Corinthians 6:10
- Psalm 126:5-6
- John 15:18-19