Easter 2020 - Knowing Christ and the Power of the Resurrection
Passage: Philippians 3:7–3:14
You can download a PDF version of these notes HERE
Text: Philippians 3:7-14 (ESV)
But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Big Idea: Knowing Christ and the Power of his Resurrection
- Treasuring Christ
- Knowing Christ
- Knowing the Power of the Resurrection
- What areas of life do you tend to hold up as your standard?
- How do your priorities affect your worship?
- What things crowd out worship and keep you from treasuring Christ above all else?
- What does it mean for us to press forward to take hold of Christ?
Christ Raised from the Dead means:
- we have forgiveness for our deepest sin
- we have a mediator who pleads our case before the Father. He intercedes for us.
- we have the indwelling Spirit who is at WORK IN us…
- we have eternal lifethat begins now…
- we have access to an everlasting JOY that will NOT be cut off by death — because Jesus has victory over death…
- John 10
- Romans 8:11
- Colossians 1:28-29
“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!” - Revelation 5:12