Luke - Following, Fasting, & Fresh Wineskins
Passage: Luke 5:27–5:39
You can download a PDF version of these notes HERE
Text: Luke 5:27-39 (ESV)
"After this he went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth. And he said to him, “Follow me.” And leaving everything, he rose and followed him. And Levi made him a great feast in his house, and there was a large company of tax collectors and others reclining at table with them. And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”
And they said to him, “The disciples of John fast often and offer prayers, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink.” And Jesus said to them, “Can you make wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast in those days.” He also told them a parable: “No one tears a piece from a new garment and puts it on an old garment. If he does, he will tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. And no one after drinking old wine desires new, for he says, ‘The old is good.’"
Big Idea: Jesus exposes the weakness of man-made religious systems and rejects attempts to conform the Kingdom of God to the preferences of fallen humans. Rather, Jesus call to Follow him is a call to full transformation as the Kingdom of God invades and re-ordered our lives.
- Following Jesus
- Feasting & Fasting
- Fresh Wine & Fresh Wineskins
- What would it take for someone to leave EVERYTHING, like Levi, to follow Jesus?
- What is worth that kind of risk in your life?
- Do we get as excited as Levi to tell others about the work of Jesus in our lives?
- Where are you in danger of missing Jesus’ call to follow because you don’t think you need a doctor?
- Where are you in danger of missing Jesus’ mission to others because you’ve forgotten that Jesus was compassionate to you… yet you’re slow to show compassion to others?
- Are we tempted to think of ourselves as more faithful or spiritually mature than others based merely on outward actions?
- What robs us of our joy in being with Jesus?
- Let’s not forget the mercy of Jesus. He comes to us and calls us to follow him. This is a display of GRACE!
- Following Jesus is rooted in repentance. We turn FROM sin and TOWARD Jesus!
- Jesus’ mission is to bring healing to the spiritually sick and freedom for those in bondage to sin. And his mission is our mission.
- Let us be patient because although we are changed by the Spirit in an INSTANT the Spirit works our sanctification over TIME. We receive and extend GRACE!